Silicon Valley Bank (SVB), the bank of innovative companies worldwide, produces an annual report written by Managing Director Jonathan Norris that examines the top trends in the healthcare venture industry and forecasts what's ahead. This update serves as a first look at what happened in 2014, based on deals completed through December 5, 2014. Definitions of terms used in this report are noted at the end. The full-year report will be available in the first half of 2015.
Key 2015 forecasts:
- Healthcare venture will continue to post strong returns and fundraising will remain stable or increase.
- IPOs will stay viable for biopharma, but revert to 2013 levels.
- Biopharma Series A will remain healthy and attractive to corporates as big exit M&A increases.
- Medical devices big exit M&A will stabilize after an uptick in 2014, but the merger of two large acquirers (Medtronic/Covidien) could slow activity. IPOs are expected to increase.
- Dx/tools big exit M&A and IPO activity will increase significantly as developments in personalized medicine and better diagnostic tools lead to commercial traction and exit opportunities.
Read the full report here: http://www.svb.com/First_Look_at_2014_Healthcare_Investments_and_Exits/
About Silicon Valley Bank
Banking the world's most innovative companies and exclusive wineries, SVB offers diverse financial services, knowledge, global networks, and world class service to increase our clients' probability of success. With $36 billion in assets and more than 1,800 employees, we provide commercial, international and private banking through our locations around the world. Forbes Magazine ranks us among America's Best Banks (2014) and Fortune named SVB one of the best places to work (2012). (Nasdaq: SIVB) www.svb.com. (SIVB-F)
Silicon Valley Bank is the California bank subsidiary and the commercial banking operation of SVB Financial Group. Banking services are provided by Silicon Valley Bank, a member of the FDIC and the Federal Reserve System.
Managing Director, Healthcare
Silicon Valley Bank