The Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Forum 2021
See how business leaders and influencers in the Life Science & Healthcare industry are addressing disparities in mental health care.
2021 forum highlights
Strong presentations were given by industry leaders, and insightful discussions followed about mental health care access for people of color and those with marginalized identities.
Takeaways from the keynote address by Abe Ceesay
Abe is President, Cerevel Therapeutics as well as Chair of the Board of Directors for Life Science Cares and a biopharmaceutical leader for 20 years. Here are insights from his address.
Make mental wellbeing key to employee wellbeing
- Mental health is critical to employee engagement, productivity and retention
- Every $1 spent treating mental disorders returns roughly $4 in improved health and productivity
Expand access to mental health treatment
- Struggling with mental health issues drives life choices
- Mental health is inextricably linked to homelessness and addiction
- Access to care is critical to solving these issues
Treat women with the same level of care as others
- Conversations aren't treated with the same level of seriousness
- It’s a negative cycle: if no one will treat my issue with respect, then I’ll retreat and won't seek care
More key takeaways on advancing DE&I in the workplace
Create a mentally healthy work environment
Covid-19 work arounds must be tailored
Beat the effects of ethnicity
Micro aggressions are exhausting
Racism impacts mental health
Racism doesn't need to be overt. There’s a buildup overtime and sufferers may not even be aware of the stress it creates.
Break down barriers to relationships
SVB’s Diversity Equity and Inclusion Report
Read how SVB has created an inclusive workplace through employee awareness programs and resource groups, regular training, education, and leadership development.
Get insight into next year’s forum
Stay up to date on next year’s DE&I Forum details.